Tuesday, July 6, 2010

North Wales and Caernarfon Castle

Sunday 4th July 2010
We departed LLantrwyd Wells heading north to Caernarfon. It was a 3 hour drive each way, but we figured a great opportunity to see some of the Welsh countryside and drive right through the middle of Snowdonia National Park. We did see Mt Snowdon, but don't actually have a picture of that.
We stopped near this weir (below) to rest and I saw a squirrel for the first time. Ray saw him running into the trees and pointed him out to me.


We eventually made it to Caernarfon and made for the Castle. I must say it was a castle kind of day. Raining and blowing a gale............. the stuff that dark and dismal castle stories are made of.


We climbed all the way to the top of one of the towers (below - I think the one on the right). It might have been more fun if Ray had stayed on the ground and played fairy tales "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your golden hair", but there's a couple of points that would prevent that from working.
1. I don't have that much hair & 2. Most of the hair I do have is silver these days, most of the gold is gone.
Perhaps my Goddaughter Annabella can read me a story about a princess in a castle when we get back to her place on our way home?
Below is the view on the way down. It's a very tight spiral staircase, but not as tricky as you might imagine.

After a cup of tea and a slice of a very tasty Bara Brith, we headed back to the pub in Llantrwyd Wells for a ham and cheese toastie and a pint or two.
WE had noticed the hotel in the photo below on the way up to Caernarfon and were lucky enough for the traffic to slow down long enough for ray to snap this picture through the car window. I confess I don't even know the name of the town it was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment